Monday, July 7, 2008

Mosquitoes want you to exercise...

I have never read this before, but it kind of makes sense now that I think about it. The article states "Cues like body temperature, carbon dioxide in the breath, and certain skin chemicals, such as lactic acid, all help mosquitoes orient and find their next blood meal." Hearing something like that makes me want to sit inside on the couch eating chips and watching television to avoid the potential for West Nile, another promoted issue. Not really, but the next question is how to help avoid the problem altogether and enjoy those times when a person is outside and wants to be hot, breathing out tons of carbon dioxide, and producing enough lactic acid to make a person sore for a week.

Deet doesn't really seem like a logical choice, as I am all about using "eco-friendlier" plant derived chemicals, but what is purported to be the next best thing. According to this University's research "Oil of eucalyptus-based repellents includ[ing] Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent, SC Johnson Off Botanicals, and Fite Bite Plant-Based Insect Repellent." The average working time was 2 hours for these products, which, I am sure increases when working out and sweat is removing it like runoff.

I have personally experienced the above mentioned post-workout phenomenon with bugs. Sometimes, I go running near a lake and when I arrive before the run the bugs hardly notice me, but after the run it is a different story. There are so many bugs that I can never get away from them without running and jumping into the car. Although this strategy works, my car, as with most, is definitely not a help in my post-workout stretching. I guess my next logical choice will have to be utilizing an oil of eucalyptus-based repellent.

1 comment:

Zog said...

I've heard that what you eat can influence whether or not bugs will be interested in you. I suppose it's good, then, that I really enjoy spicy food (which, in my experience, doesn't attract bugs), but I have a real problem when I load up on sugar from Jelly Bellies. :)