Sunday, July 27, 2008

EQ / What Q?

I have been reading a bit about Emotional Intelligence (EQ) recently and the strange thing is it started in the work place and has, as of this month, been carried over to running. At first I was encouraged to read about this at work, as to, make a better work environment and lead to a more productive workforce. Then, this month's Runner's World came in the mail and there was an article explaining how EQ was important in running/sports, as well. I had never thought about this aspect. The first book I read explained it mostly in terms of how the way a person interacts with someone sets a precedent for how that person will act in return and how a person should keep themselves in check. After contemplating this new found aspect, I realized that it makes a lot of sense, and how everything that is currently happening in a person's life correlates into how a person acts and reacts to everything. Personally, I have found this to be highly relevant when I think back to the marathon I was supposed to run this spring. In training, I just wasn't into it because I was slogging through the snow during winter trying to complete long runs. Emotionally, I was drained. Trying to keep a positive attitude while training through Freakin' cold, windy weather just was not cutting it.

This brings me to my run this morning. I went on a long run with a couple of friends in training for my next marathon and in comparing this run to other long runs I have done it was a lot easier because they ran with me. This brought my EQ up quite a bit. I had forgotten how much fun it is to run with people and joke throughout the run. This makes me look forward to the next run with them. EQ++ check.

No comments: