Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just Breathe...Slowly...

It seems as though different sources are always telling us how to breathe. Here is one link from a news source, which, suggests deep breathing for relaxation. Here is another link from doctor describing how running beyond your capabilities can cause a side-stitch and the root cause is because of how a person breathes. They both seem to have one thing in common. If things are not working out the way you planned, breathing slowly has been shown to help.

As an example, we had some friends over last Thursday night for a get together and one of them was talking about a person they disliked being around because of the way they reacted to everything with the "fight or flight" response. One thing that was noted was how easy it was to tell that the annoying person was in this mode because the short, fast breaths were quite apparent. According to the above, that person needs to slow down and relax by breathing more slowly. Of course, they could also probably benefit from seeing a psychologist for anxiety, but that's a different post.

On a personal note, I have noticed different breathing techniques while running. The one that really caught me off guard was a seasoned runner using a structured breathing technique. She breathed three quick breaths followed by one deep breath. I talked with her coach after our race and he explained it was a technique they used to teach. Most of the time when I am running I don't hear people with structured breathing, but I notice something else. I am usually breathing a lot longer and deeper breaths. I am not sure how or why I developed this, but I am assuming it is just how my body has adapted to my increase in running over the years.

Anyone else have quirky stories related to breathing?

3 comments:

J. said...

When I was learning about Zen Buddhism, as well as about many...lets call them somewhat more obscure religions...breathing is key to moving energy around (whether you call that Chi or something else). When I'm getting into that panic mode, I know that getting control of breathing is key to relaxing. Trumpeters and Floutists call it "circular breathing" if I remember right; learning that was the only thing that saved me through many a paper or class discussion session with some of our peers *smirk*

Sarah Jo Austin said...

My choir teacher in high school loved having runners in class because we could sing for longer periods of time without taking a breath. Choir is where I learned to breathe from my diaphragm rather than my upper lungs. That helps with side stitches, too.

As for me, my pattern seems to be breath, step, step, breath, step, step.

G said...

I had mastered circular breathing at one time, but doubt that I could still do it. Although I also don't play my flute for a couple hours a day anymore. I'd never really thought of circular breathing as a relaxation technique, for me it was a way to get through a really long and fast musical sequence. Although looking back, it makes sense. If you don't have to worry about breathing you don't have to worry about losing your momentum.

Oddly enough, about the same time I finally taught myself circular breathing, I also lost the ability whistle.