Friday, August 1, 2008

Couch Potato...pill...elite...

According to this research article, exercise in a pill is upon us. This sounds awesome for those that have a medical need and I applaud the scientist’s doing this research and why they are doing it, but unfortunately there is a downside as well.

My guess is either already or very soon there will be human consumption of this pill in an unintended manner. There is already a doping epidemic in sports at all levels and as noted by Le Tour de France this year, so it is just a matter of time until this drug is added to their repertoire. When elite athletes dope it makes national headlines, but when sub-elite athletes dope it doesn't make as many, or any, headlines. I don't know of any friends in my running community that illegally enhance their running, and I don't know if I would want to know. I hope they are not and if they are I hope they understand the long-term outcomes of their short-term actions.

I am not one to go off on a long rant, so this will remain just a few thoughts on a controversial topic, ergo, I stop...

1 comment:

G said...

There's nothing wrong with rants! Is that comment directed at me :)