Monday, July 28, 2008

Another weird runner thing...

This is post for those people who thought my PowerBar v Hammer Gel post was an oddity.* Males in running tend to have a problem with chaffing of their nipples. This comes is variations, from slight chaffing to all out bleeding, as in this article. The problem occurs as a result of the shirt a male is wearing rubbing against his nipples because of the motion the chest goes through while running. This problem is compounded when the shirt becomes wet, from sweat, and salty. This combination enhances the shirts "sandpaper" action, thereby, making it not much more than rock being rubbed against a persons chest.

Fortunately, to all males delight, the above problem can be easily averted. As the above article explains a person could use some form of lubricant or a layer of one sided sticky adhesive material. Personally, I have heard of people using Vaseline, Bodyglide, or Band-aids, but I use fabric tape by tearing it into little squares.

To give you the complete story, this post is specifically prompted by my "stupidity" on Sunday morning. I got up in the morning to run with some friends, which was awesome, but I forgot to "tape-up." Unfortunately, I did not realize this until we were on about mile 7 or 8 and I started feeling the discomfort. At that point, I was already dreading the shower. Usually, I leave the tape on for weeks at a time so that when I go out on a run it is one less thing to worry about. Every so often though I think it is a good idea to let them have some time without tape and, as in this case, some times I forget to tape-up before I go run and suffer the consequences. Usually it is a short run, but this weekend I went "all out" and did it on a long run. To say the least, it was an interesting shower.

*I had friends that did not know what I was talking about, thusly, I had to show and explain to what I was referring.

2 comments:

J. said...

Wow; y'know what I'm learning here? The world of running is far more complex (and, it seems, lucrative for those who make products aimed at runners) than I imagined.

Carey said...

Hmmmm. This might be more information than I needed about your nipples. But an interesting angle that I'd never thought about before re: the running world. Interesting!