Tuesday, July 22, 2008

PowerBar v. Hammer Gel

This weekend on my run, I decided to experiment with different kinds of goo packets to use while I am running.* I ran approximately 16 miles this weekend and decided to consume a gel packet about every 40 minutes. First, I took an orange flavored Hammer Gel and, as I had expected from trying one before, the taste was really subdued. In contrast, when consuming the packets of Power Gel later in my run I noticed a quite strong sugar and flavoring taste. On flavor, my vote goes to Hammer.

My next experience is with their websites. At first glance PowerBar has a snazzy website with all kinds of Adobe Flash player presentations. Conversely, the Hammer Nutrition website seems to say just the facts. Obviously, it is easy to tell that PowerBar has more money to spend and therefore a bigger company, but the website seemed almost too flashy. For instance, I would rather get product answers quickly, like approximate usage for your body weight, than only being told to experiment because everyone is different. On website, it is a tie.

Final thoughts: I see a real ingredient like banana puree in Hammer Gel, but only flavoring in Power gel and I would rather eat banana with flavoring than just flavoring. One thing I did not find was how either of these companies are going green, such as possibly the production of packets that stay together in one piece after use instead of the usual tear apart and then two pieces to keep track of. It would seem that two pieces would more likely to produce litter than if it would stay in one piece. Personally, I am planning to use Hammer Gel in the future.

*As a disclaimer, I don't have extensive experience with both products, rather, this is my experience over the weekend and my perceptions from their websites.

2 comments:

J. said...

I didn't know there even was such a thing. Interesting.

G said...

You used a footnote (and punctuated it correctly). I'm so proud! :)