Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bona Dea Park Trail Run...


This morning I drove down the hill to a local park area called Bona Dea to check out its trails. In the many times I have been down here I had yet to make it down there. Oddly enough we drive past it every time we come to visit. This time would be different.

I decided to take the long route and just take it easy throughout as I knew it would be a short easy run. I ended up running 3.526 miles for the route. If you look at the map, the parking lot is on the far right and I ran along the top side essentially taking right turns at every intersection. The trail was well maintained and included a few bridges to cross over some marshy areas. I was half expecting to see some wildlife as I strolled through, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. It may have been because of the number of people on the trail. Most were walkers, but there were at least three other people running. The actual trail looked to be made of concrete with rocks pushed into the top, in parts, and it other parts looked to be some derivation of asphalt. In most places it was about 5 to 6 feet wide with plenty of room and throughout the course was as flat as a pancake. There were even dirt trails jutting off to lookout areas overlooking ponds where I am guessing you could see some sort of water fowl.

The run, over all, felt good. I did not push too
hard, as, I am looking to hit the same hill route that I took on Sunday. Now that I have a hand-strapped water bottle, things should go quite a bit more smoothly even though the high is supposed to be around 97. As you can tell in this picture, it is very humid and I started sweating as soon as I got out of the car. By the end of the run my shirt was soaked and my shorts barely had dry spots on them. This heat and humidity is insane, but I am loving every minute of it (on my runs). I can hardly wait for Friday when I get to attack that monster hill again. Grrrrr...

No comments: