Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How silly do you look when you run?

According to this article, no matter how economical a persons running style is, it doesn't make much of a difference in respect to how fast that person runs. My favorite quote in this article is "there is no way to tell by looking at a runner whether he will win, place or come in last." This means studying someones running style will not allow there speed to be predicted. In my opinion the greater test would to talk to the person and find out their mental fortitude. If they are a strong-willed, Type A personality they will probably do better than someone who is not. I have even noticed this while running with friends. Recently, one friend was getting ahead of me while we were doing hill work. I knew he was capable, but I just wasn't feeling it. Later in the run, we ran into a friend I knew on a bike. This small conversation and interaction gave a boost to my run.

There is one particular instance that sticks out in my mind when I was contemplating my running style and how I could make it better. I talked with an experienced member of my running community about how one member ran on the ball of their foot and inquired as to if it was better than running heal to toe. He told, and convinced, me not to worry about it. He told me that training was the path to gain speed not a change in running style. A friend once told me "if you want to run faster, you have to run faster." I suppose it is also true for distance. If you want to run farther, you have to run farther. And, as with most things, training/practice makes you better.

As a last point to ponder from the article. It doesn't even matter if your "arms tied behind [your] back;" there is still not much of a difference in running economy.

1 comment:

J. said...

I remember something like this while watching the olympics...I forget the event, but it was very long distance running because the clocks said over an hour. Anyway, the announcer kept talking about the amount of tension in someone's face as an indicator of how they were doing; I'd never thought about it before.